Thursday, August 18, 2016

Mom. Wife. Woman.

I remember about 8 1/2 years ago when I married this extremely handsome man. His Army uniform and smile swept me away. It's been almost nine years and three kids later, and I have to remind myself more than I want to mention that I'm not just mom. I'm a woman. I'm a wife. I'm me. 

In the chaos of family life and kids, how we do stay us? What do you do to separate your mom life from your wife life? And what do you do to separate yourself from everything and find time to just be you? My children are young. Two sassy girls with their bright eyes and Frozen purses. One mischievous little boy who steals my heart just with his smile. He is autistic, so our days can range from somewhat calm to Holy Hell the apocalypse is happening. I spend most of my days shuffling kids, cleaning the same things over, and playing referee to whatever fiasco has arisen. Would I change it? Never. But at the end of the day when my husband comes home, I sometimes just wanna hide in the closet with a bottle of wine and ignore the running through the halls and Monster High cartoons playing over and over. 

But I was blessed with an amazing man. Oh so handsome in his police uniform, I can say after eight years he still makes my heart flutter. Sure we bicker sometimes, but at the end of the day, I love being able to fall asleep next to him. Even if he drives me crazy sometimes and snores slightly. 

Through all the love, the chaos, and this ride we call life we women sometimes lose ourselves. Motherhood is an amazing experience, but it is consuming. A selfless job. But one that can suck the energy and ambition right out of you. I recently completed my book of short stories that I have been working on for almost a year. After two acceptances from publishing companies, it finally hit me. I'm not just a mom. I'm not just a wife. I'm me. Jessica. A thirty one year old woman who has dreams and aspirations. And that if I want to my kids to achieve their lifelong goals, they need to be led by example. Writing is my love. My hobby. My frustration. But it makes me happy. And helps me distance myself from the craziness that is life, and to remember to stop and smell the roses. It makes me a better mother. A better wife. So I say to you ladies. Continue being wonderful mothers and wives. But don't forget about you. Because you are important. And a life without dreams, is no life at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment